As a competent product management professional who delivers results, you want to earn what you deserve. Here’s guidance on how to compare your product management salary to others, and 20 data sources (in March 2021) on Irish and international product management salary and compensation packages.
A selection of product management job descriptions is also included for reference.
You may also find it useful to consider future needs / gaps;
- What skills / capabilities will your organization need next?
- What skills do you need to reach the next level?
- Beyond salary, what features or flexibility might your total compensation package be missing?
Jump to the: List Of Data Sources For Product Management Salaries
Salary Range For Product Management Professionals in Ireland
- €48,000 – €280,000 : Range of Product Management Salary Ireland (CPL, 2022 survey ‘Chief Product Officer’)
- Typical Job Title For Lower End of Range: ‘Product Owner’ or perhaps ‘Product Manager’.
- Typical Job Titles For Higher End of The Range: ‘Product Director’ or ‘Head of Product Management’
Average Salaries for “Product Managers” in Ireland
– Jump to the: List Of Data Sources For Product Management Salaries
- €60,000 Source: Neuvoo Ireland, & Morgan McKinsey, Ireland
- €61,827 Source: Payscale (Software, n = 92, March, 2022)
- €62,113 Source: Glass Door Dublin
- €64,000 Indeed Ireland (March, 2021)
- €65,000 Source: LinkedIn Dublin 2019
- €79,673 Pragmatic Institute 2019 (currency conversion March ’21)
- €81,000 Source: Pragmatic Marketing 2018 (currency conversion July ’18)
Averages are prone to very high and very low outliers skewing the average. Therefore a range can be more useful to give a sense of the high and low end.
How To Compare Your Product Management Salary
As with feature comparison in product competitive analysis, compare your salary to others in similar situations. Factors affecting product management salary include:
- Macro Economic Environment
- Organizational Factors
- Responsibility, Skills & Seniority
- Gender Bias
Jump to the: List Of Data Sources For Product Management Salaries
Macro Economic Environment
The backdrop against which you were originally hired plays a significant role in many people’s salary. Do your best to ensure that your basic salary (and that of your direct reports) are regularly benchmarked against the current local market conditions.
Dublin is typically better paid (and more expensive to live in) than the rest of the country. The dramatic changes in flexible work location may change this. BrightWater and Sigmar have good information on Dublin versus ‘the rest’. Remember, the flip side of this -> you may be a ‘rare and precious commodity’ in your non-Pale locale. As a product manager you already understand the need to consider both your personal income and the expenditure to determine profitability. 🙂
The difference between Dublin and regional salaries for product management roles is ~€5,000 to €10,000 and can be as much as €15,000.
Different industry sectors command different salaries. Financial services professionals are typically at the top of the range. Whatever the industry compare your product management role to others within your industry.
Few product management roles require domain expertise: exceptions include the pharma industry. A discussion amongst senior product leaders concluded that ~80% of roles have no requirement for domain expertise (despite what the job description may says). If this comes up as a barrier for you, ask about it and consider how your capabilities/knowledge might apply. Consider what you have learnt in the past. Is the domain expertise something you can learn?
It’s much harder to teach soft skills, such as adaptability and customer empathy, than for new hires to gain domain expertise.
- Telco/Banking/Finance/Professional Services – Product Manager €55,000 – €80,000
- Technology – Product Manager €85,000 – €100,000
- Telco/Banking/Finance/Professional Services – Head of Product €80,000 – €120,000
- Technology – Chief Product Officer €140,000 – €250,000
(Sources, CPL 2021)
Both organizational culture, size and product management maturity, i.e. a market / customer-centric perspective, heavily influence the product management role.
Organizational culture leads to an appreciation of some skills over others. Engineering-led companies understand the value and contribution of engineering: ‘the best technology will win in the market place’. Sales-led may mean ‘the prospect who might buy tomorrow is always right’. Customer / market-centric organizations lean towards valuing diverse contributions from those who understand customers.
=> Great organizations balance these competing factors well.
Organizational size means an established multinational corporation, with mature product management processes, offers you a different experience compared to a high grow export-led SME, focused on learning about new markets / needs, to a bootstrapped startup, where you’ll be front and central, and often alone.
Due to the great variety in product complexity and maturity, product management is often expressed as a ratio relative to the rest of product development team. Examples include:
- 1:1 for project management
- 6:1 for hardware development
- 5-15 : 1 for software development
- 7 ± 2 engineers : 1 product manager (also Pragmatic Institute, 2020)
Smaller organizations often have product management as one responsibility within a broader role. In these shared roles other responsibilities include; project management, product marketing, technical writing, QA/testing, channel management, sales, and marketing communications. Some knowledge of these aspects of product and market development are valuable to everyone in product management.
Responsibility, Skills & Seniority
As the examples below show even product management roles with the identical title may have a great variety in responsibilities.
The skills, knowledge and connections, you bring to the table are key to your product management salary. While often expressed in years of experience and formal qualifications, your past achievements and projects are particularly insightful to demonstrate product management competencies including emotional intelligence
Well-established frameworks covering product management competencies include:
- Pragmatic Institute’s Framework
- Product Management Skills By TU Dublin
- Product Process From Strategy to Execution by 280 Group
In smaller and medium-sized organization external consultants / agencies are often engaged to fill gaps that don’t require a full-time hire. In larger organizations these functions are typically in adjacent teams. The smaller the organization the further down the list your responsibilities extend.
- A broad set of skills is more valuable to smaller organizations.
- Depth / specialization is more valuable in larger organizations.
Seniority In Product Management
Years experience is often used as a proxy for skills. Fundamentally ageist as this approach is, its use is wide-spread.
- Product Manager 1 – 5+ Years Experience €70-€110k (Sigmar Recruitment March ’21)
More senior people will be involved with deciding strategy, based on understanding market and innovation opportunities, and scoping where to expend resources for financial return. They have oversight of the entire product life-cycle and product portfolio, and need the ability to work across the entire organization particularly with engineering and sales/marketing, as well as lead a core team of product managers.
More revenue and greater geographic reach means you have greater responsibilities, and therefore a greater contribution and responsibility to the organization.
Unlike operational roles, product management teams are typically small so team size is not a good salary determinant. Most teams have 5 or less people. More than 10 is very unusual (Pragmatic Institute, 2019). (For example, the salary differential for ‘Head of Operations’ is €20k-€30k for those with more than/ less than 100 staff, Brightwater house, 2017).
For senior product management roles the appropriate benchmark may be your peers at the management table and your industry, rather than other product management professionals.
“Typically product managers have control of nothing and responsibility for everything. 🙂 Influencing without authority is the name of the game.”
Product management as an individual contributor
Earlier career / more junior product management people spend time ‘hands on’ with project or product specific prioritization, for example implementing ‘voice of the customer‘ during or after product development (rather than leading or scoping understanding customers). Brightwater, for example, (2020) shows salary of €40,000 for those with one year of experience.
- Gender Bias In Product Management Salaries
Difference in early career salary between male and female, with men earning ~$20,000 more were identified by the Pragmatic Institute in 2008 but the data set of ~20 product managers was small. The number of survey respondents with 11-15 years experience was bigger (~80 and 35 respectively) and showed a gender pay gap of ~$18,000(Pragmatic Institute, 2008).
Sample Product Management Role Descriptions
Example 1 – Head of Product Management Dublin
Example 2 – Head of Product Management Dublin
Example 3 – Product Manager
Example 4 – Head of Product
- 7+ years customer product Manager experience
- Manage team of ~20 people, in product management, QA and engineering
- Building compelling customer experiences across range of products
Data Sources For Product Management Salaries
These varied sources all include information on product management salaries.
International Product Management Salary Data Sources
These sources include Ireland, sometimes as an individual geography, as well as giving more specific indications on what factors increase or decrease average salaries.
- Pragmatic Institute Product Management and Product Marketing 2021
- Product Focus Salary Survey 2018
- Product Management Festival Benchmarks Report 2017
- Pragmatic Marketing Annual Product Management Survey
- Pragmatic Institute Product Management Survey 2019
- Pragmatic Marketing Product Management Survey 2018
- Pragmatic Marketing Product Management Survey 2017
- Mind The Product Product Management 2016
Irish Product Management Summary Salary Data Sources
Sourced directly from product management professionals in Ireland this data covers professional who may be a number of years at their current organization/role. In some cases the sample size is small so consider how many respondents are shown: lower numbers are less robust.
Data from these online job aggregators typically provide a range and the average salary.
- PayScale Product Manager Ireland
- Neuvoo Product Manager Salary Ireland
- PayScale Senior Product Manager Ireland
- Glass Door Senior Product Manager Ireland
- Glass Door Product Manager Dublin
- LinkedIn Product Manager Dublin
Irish Salary Surveys Which Include Product Management Roles
Data from recruitment agencies typically reflect the market value for roles filled in the year quoted. In some cases product management roles are found under marketing, in others under IT or research.
- Prosperity Digital Marketing Salary-Survey Ireland 2022
- Brightwater Product Manager 2020
- Brightwater Software Product Manager 2020
- Recruiters Product Management 2020
- Sigmar’s Salary Guide 2021
- Lincoln Salary Survey 2021
- Indeed dot Com Product Manager Ireland
- Indeed Product Manager Belfast
- CPL Salary Survey Ireland 2022
- CPL Salary Survey Ireland 2021
- CPL Salary Survey Ireland 2018 and CPL Salary Survey Ireland 2017
- Morgan McKinsey Salary Ireland 2018
- Alternatives with Marketing Institute of Ireland 2017
- Morgan McKinsey IT Salary Ireland 2015
- BrightWater Salary Previous Years (2019-2006)
Further Resources On Product Management Salary
- How Buffer Calculates (All Employees) Salary
- How To Negotiate – A Resource List
- Negotiation Course for Professional Women by Gendelity
63-64% of Americans Who Asked For A Raise Said They Were Successful.
Make The World A Better Place For Product Management
- If you know of additional data sources for the salary of product management professionals in Ireland, please let Jane know.
- Assist transparency in product management salary by: adding your product management salary anonymously or here.