What Content Do Your B2B Prospects Want?
- 7 Research Facts For B2B Content Marketing
- 12 Consideration To Improve Your B2B Content Marketing
Research on the type, timing and delivery of content your prospects want through the customer journey, continues to improve. Improve B2B content for marketing with insights from these respected studies coupled with thought provoking questions for considering your own content.
Let’s start with a quick reminder to get us grounded
The goal of your marketing content is to provide prospects with useful information to inform choosing the right solution for their situation.
For those with internal marketing metrics information use these three studies to benchmark your efforts.
- Lead Generation
- Brand Awareness
- Lead Nurturing
No great surprises in the list. I wonder though, should lead nurturing really be in fourth place. (My experience across clients suggest that there is more room for improvement in lead nurturing that the other 3.)
Considerations For B2B Marketing Content
1. 91% of this year’s respondents are using B2B content marketing. At the beginning of 2017, 70% of respondents expected to produce more B2B marketing content than during 2016. Similarly 65% expect an increase in 2018.
- => Consider your mix of spend on content / collateral versus communication / dissemination?
2. B2B marketers are reducing the variety of marketing content types (whitepapers, blogs, video, etc) they produce from 13 down to 8.
3. 71% of B2B marketers consider how their content impacts the overall experience a prospect has with their organization.
- => Consider what content your prospects needs through the customer journey from awareness to conversion?
4. Content marketing strategy and quality creation are the top two factors contributing to content marketing success. Both factors were cited by over 70% of the 800+ B2B marketers surveyed. However, only 37% have a documented content marketing strategy which means there’s an opportunity for strategic advantage!
- => Consider shifting your content marketing approach from tactical to strategic.
- => Consider if a smaller volume of better marketing content may be a more successful.
5. Third party product testing/reviews/opinions top the list of content types that IT pros rely on. With product demos and literature in second place, company generated content continues to play a strong role in answering prospects queries.
- Consider: => What is the mix of in-house versus third party content available for your prospects?
6. Your prospects are focused on their particular set of circumstances. 62% want additional information about the content they already have from you. 45% want industry specific info.
- Consider: => Are your B2B customer persona industry specific?
- Consider: => What additional content is appropriate for specific customer personas?
7. Follow-up calls by uninformed sales reps are considered “poisonous” to the sale (a little scary to say the least).
- Consider: => What information is available to the sales team about individual prospects?
- Consider: => Does your CRM or marketing automation tool show which content your prospect has already received, opened and engaged with (e.g. clicked-through)?